OUR PADDLE 2 FITNESS COACH
In 2018, our coach Julian Norton-Smith was awarded Surf Life Saving Australia’s highest coaching certification:
- Performance Coach Certificate – surf ski
- Performance Coach Certificate – board
- Performance Coach Certificate – swim
- Performance Coach Certificate – iron
Paddle Australia has also awarded Julian with:
- Coaching Certificate Level Two – Sprint Canoeing
- Coaching Certificate Level Two – Marathon Canoeing
Started in 2008 by Julian Norton-Smith (former national and world champion), Paddle 2 Fitness continues to grow with new athletes, surf clubs and sporting bodies asking for our professional assistance. Our philosophy is to help athletes better understand all the skills needed to become more efficient athletes. In 2018 we linked with a local physiotherapist to create ‘The Coach & The Physio” You Tube videos where we go through correct technique posture and injury prevention.
Off the water, our professional CV speaks for its self. As the former Surf Sports Manager of Kurrawa (2000-2004) and Head Coach of Mermaid Beach Surf Club (2011-2016), Julian was a driving force to elevate the surf clubs from small unknowns to Australian Point Score Champions (Kurrawa) and 2015 Australian Surf Club of the Year (Mermaid Beach). Whilst working as part of a surf club team, Julian was the clear architect in developing best practices through Surf Sports which engaged every area of the surf clubs to set and achieve higher goals. These included creating opportunities across brand awareness, training structures / results, youth development, new sponsors / fundraisers and defined outcomes from committee meetings. Through Julian’s five years at Mermaid Beach, the surf club saw tenfold increases in membership and were awarded more Branch, State and National awards as well as achieving it best ever Surf Sports results than in its entire history.
“In 2015, Mermaid Beach AEME SLSC won ‘Australian Surf Club of the Year’. Half of this award was a direct result of Julian’s attention to detail and his professional, unselfish approach to coaching and his athletes have helped turn our surf club into what it is today” P. Chipman, MBSLSC President
As in most sports, results speak for themselves. P2F have coached some of Australia’s best surf club athletes with many of them going on to win national / international gold medals. To date, P2F has won board, ski, swim and iron national championships as well as successfully coaching KNG Series athletes including Hayley Bateup (2 series), Emma Dick (3 series) Luke Cuff (2 series) and James Lacy (1 series). Our training programs are world class but more importantly our coaching philosophy, principles and the time we spend teaching skill develop with all level of athlete, is what allows us to stand out from the crowd.
Paddle 2 Fitness started in 2009 but Julian started coaching in the mid 1990’s
- 2019 Paddle Queensland ‘Coach of the Year’
- 2018 Paddle Queensland ‘Coach of the Year’ nominee
- 2017 Queensland Canoeing ‘Coach of the Year’ nominee
- 2015 and 2016 Queensland Cyclones Head Coach
- 2013 and 2014 SCB ‘Coach of the Year’
- 2013 and 2014 SLSQ ‘Coach of the Year’ nominee
- 2011-2016 Head Coach – Mermaid Beach AEME SLSC
- 2009-2010 Surf Ski Coach – Kurrawa SLSC
- 2000-2004 Surf Sports Manager – Kurrawa SLSC
- 1991 – 2008 – Australian Institute of Sport – Sprint Canoe Program / Elite Athlete
- Queensland & Australian Canoeing Presenter for Level 1 & 2 Coaching Courses
- Queensland Surf Life Saving Presenter for Coaching Course
- Queensland Surf Life Saving Coaching Advisor
BUSINESS OWNER / HEAD COACH
Coach of the Year – 2014 & 2015 South Coast Branch Surf Life Saving | 2019 Paddle Queensland
Spanning a career of over 20 years in both sprint canoeing (kayaking) and surf life saving, Julian is proud to have been named as one of Australia’s top coaches and athletes.
Julian was our Queensland Cyclones Head Coach for the 2015 and 2016 state team with Queensland winning the interstate title in 2016.
Between the years of 2011-2016, Julian has helped Mermaid Beach SLSC become an award winning club coaching his athletes to several National gold, silver and bronze medals, Hayley Bateup, Emma Dick and Luke Cuff qualify for several KNG Series between them and a main driver in Mermaid Beach AEME Surf Club winning Australia Surf Club of the Year in 2015.
A former World, National and State champion, Julian has acquired level 2 coaching certificates in sprint canoeing, surf life saving and level 1 in snow skiing.
Julian is a ‘Working with Children Blue Card’ holder and has experience working with all ages, levels and abilities.
“I started coaching because I felt I needed to give back to my sport (Surf Life Saving and Kayaking). Their is nothing better than seeing an athlete achieve a new goal, take the perfect stroke or have a life changing experience. P2F will help you with all aspects of paddling and train you to any level. We also specialise in training athletes for the KNG Series and the Coolangatta Gold”.
- U19 Ironwoman Champion – Emma Dick
- U19 Female Surf Swim Champion – Emma Dick
- U19 Male Single Ski Champion – Jeremy Collins
- Open Male Board Relay Champions – Simon Murfet / James Lacy / Luke Cuff
- Youth Cameron Team Champions
- KNG Series – 2012 (Hayley Bateup) 2013 (Hayley Bateup & Emma Dick) 2014 (Emma Dick) 2015 (Luke Cuff) 2016 (Luke Cuff & James Lacy)